Vegan mushroom and pumpkin risotto
1 cup whole-wheat rice
½ diced pumpkin
400g of Shiitake (or just button mushrooms if you can’t find Shiitake)
2 small diced onions
3 cloves garlic
½ bunch coriander
½ bunch thyme
1 tablespoon masala
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon chilli pepper
1 tablespoon ground saffron
5 bay leaves
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Begin by bringing two cups of water, bay leaves and the masala to the boil. Preheat the oven to 200°.
2. Put a deep pan over on medium-high with a drizzle of olive oil and sauté the chopped ginger, onion and coriander stems for about 5 minutes. Always stirring. Then add the rice and then the flavoured water. Semi-cover the pan and leave over medium-low heat until the rice is tender.
3. Arrange the pumpkins in a baking dish, season with olive oil, chilli pepper, earth saffron, half of the garlic, salt and put them in the preheated oven at 200° for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, arrange the mushrooms already separated from each other in a bowl and season them with cumin, thyme, remaining garlic, olive oil and salt.
5. Wait until the pumpkin is nearly ready. Sauté the mushrooms in a very hot nonstick skillet for 3 minutes. Important: The mushroom should not release water, keeping it firm. Salt to taste.
6. Now, add the mushroom and the pumpkin to the already cooked rice. Mix everything, finish with salt, coriander leaves and freshly ground pepper. Serve it hot!